Monday, January 11, 2010

W-2s Are Required Before Filing

W-2s and 1099-Rs must be in hand before you file your tax return. The IRS assesses penalties against taxpayers and tax preparers that file a tax return without W-2s and 1099-Rs at the time of filing. If you can not acquire a W-2 or 1999-R or can not get an incorrect one corrected, you can file Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2 and 1099-R. You can file Form 4852 after February 15th. A reasonable effort to acquire a missing W-2 must be made before filing Form 4852. A paystub can be used to calculate Form 4852.

No comments:

Post a Comment