Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Blame It On the Unions

In case you have not noticed, we have labor union issues here in Wisconsin. It started when Governor Scott Walker stripping collective bargaining rights from public employee's unions. Teachers (and others) went on the offensive and have 6 Republican and 3 Democrats facing recall elections.

I do not belong, nor ever belonged, to a labor union. I have been self-employed at some level my entire adult life with the exception of 18 months early on. I believe unions have good and bad points. Nothing is all good or all bad. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

With the above disclaimer said, I want to posit a few facts. I intend no fights; I only want people to think about it. When labor unions were on the rise and later very powerful in the United States, the United States won two world wars and lead the planet economically, in standard of living, militarily, and with a vibrant middle class. As labor unions have declined, so have middle class living standards and our standing in the world on all fronts save debt accumulation.

If unions are so bad, why is this? If unions are so good, why are they in decline? Think about it.