Friday, August 7, 2009

Balance

Except during tax season, I'm usually out of the office on Friday. If I have an appointment I come in, if not, I work from my home office, visit business clients at their site, or spend time with Sue and the girls.

Friday is a day to catch up on work without interruptions. Working from home also saves commute time. As a result, I catch up on paperwork that should have been done a week ago. Nothing feels better than making progress.

Balance in life is essential. Running your own business is challenging and stressful. Maintaining balance between work, family, and personal time is important. I see too many clients working day and night, weekends and holidays, and burn out, leading to business failure.

If you own your own business you work more than most. You must commit to balance or your health and personal life will suffer. Never apologize for taking time off. Enjoy your career, enjoy your family, and most of all, enjoy life.

Yes, I am working from home today. I will have time with my family today and four generations of Schroeder's will sit around the card table in my Sunroom tonight, as they do most Friday nights. Oh, how we love a good game of Sheepshead.

Here's to balance.

1 comment:

  1. Well put! To quote Ferris Bueller, "Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

    ReplyDelete